Monday, October 29, 2007

Death In a Classroom

Today one of my students decided to "die". He was in a music class. When I went to pick him up, he was on the floor refusing to move, blink, anything. So, in order for the next music class to begin, I moved him out of the room. Once in the hallway, I told him I wasn't going to drag him anymore and that I expected him to walk. Instead, he continued to play this dead role. I mean, he wouldn't open his eyes or offer anything. So, what do I do? I have 19 other kids standing there watching him and waiting to move on. So, we left him. I notified the school counselor that he was refusing to move or even acknowledge me. What was I to do? I am not a psychiatrist which is what he needs. he has caused previous problems before. (Read: "You Tramp" story.) As much as I would like to help this boy, I am not trained to do so. I also can't neglect the other kids in the room. I do hope his mom gets him help. In the meantime, if you have any suggestions on how to deal with what may be a bipolar child, please help.

No comments: